Are you ready to make positive, meaningful change in your life?
Coaching is a whole-person experience. Reasons people hire coaches usually fall into one of six categories:
- Self-Confidence | You don't know what value you bring or why you don't fit in. You feel like a failure because you just cannot follow through on your goals. Is it really you? Are you a procrastinator? Or do you need to learn how to manage the stress in your life and discern priorities?
- Time-Management | You feel you don't have enough hours in the day. You'd like to do something fun, but you only have the energy to turn on the television and fall asleep on the couch.
- Work/Life Balance | You feel consumed by your time commitment to work, getting ready for work, and commuting. You feel trapped and are searching for other options. Life feels cluttered. And a clean house—HA! That's funny!
- Career & Business | You want to discern viable career options, explore the possibility of starting your own business, more effectively manage a business, or improve your work performance and leadership abilities. Are you unsure about the career you're studying for? Do you feel stuck in a dead-end career? Do you need help preparing for job interviews? Are you seeking a promotion or a career change? Do you want to strengthen your team at work?
- Communication & Relationships | You want to seek greater understanding of others, how you fit with their communication style, and how you can bridge any gaps and achieve a more desired outcome. Do you want to feel more confident? Do you want to know how to work through misunderstandings?
- Health & Wellness | You feel like you have no control over your health. Are you too busy to cook healthy meals or exercise? Are your current career and life choices significant barriers to health and fitness? Do you need support managing an illness? Is your self-esteem low? Do you feel undesirable? Are you living your life, or merely going along for the ride? Do you want to feel strong, happy, and healthy? Are you willing to seek the right help when needed, whether it is from medical doctors, therapists, or other health professionals?
Coaching is all about empowerment. It begins with self-discovery—learning who you are and how you fit in this world. This provides the ultimate foundation for helping you to achieve your goals. The following may indicate that you are ready for coaching:
- You are trying to discern what you really want and how to get it.
- You feel like you are "stuck" and are ready to break past your barriers.
- You want someone to support you on your journey, but also help you question your motives and decisions in a non-judgmental manner so that you can make informed choices.
- You will identify action items and pursue them between coaching sessions.
- You want someone who is going to help you track your action items and hold you accountable.
Are employers inviting you to move forward in the interview or hiring process? If not, it's time to create a new interview strategy. The following will help you better connect with employers and stand out as a strong candidate:
- Truly listening to the question and what it is really being asked—most interview questions boil down to just a few themes
- Preparing accomplishment-focused examples using Situation/Task-Action-Result (STAR) to demonstrate your knowledge and abilities
- Becoming aware of your mannerisms, how you make others feel, and what you can do to improve your body language to make employers like you
- Minimizing biases against you
Your coach will help you identify what interview questions are really asking, assist you with preparing strong examples using the STAR technique, and provide feedback on how you project yourself.
Coaching topics may include developing a preparation strategy, creating an elevator pitch (30-second commercial), and post-interview strategy. However, this isn't a one-size-fits-all program. Your coaching sessions are designed around you and your needs. If you find that you want to discuss something other than interviewing, that is your decision.
About Your Coach
Diane Ursu was inspired by her five years of workforce development experience to start Sisu-Ursu. She transitioned into employment services after moving to Metro Detroit following five years of adventurous living in Michigan's northernmost peninsula, the Keweenaw.
"Sisu" expresses the Finnish spirit of "having guts"—moving forward with perseverance and tenacity. It is precisely the spirit and attitude one needs to advance in a career, find a new job, start a business, or embark on any other life-changing experience, whether business or personal. One of the greatest compliments anyone has paid her is, "You've got sisu!"
A United States Army Veteran, Ursu earned her Master of Business Administration from Northwood University and a is Global Career Development Facilitator (GCDF). She also earned a Bachelor of Science in Organizational Management from Spring Arbor University and an Associate of Applied Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (Ultrasound) from Baker College of Owosso.